Skip To Main Content

Independent Study

Short Term Independent Study

A Short Term Independent Study Agreement is an optional alternative instructional strategy by which students may reach curriculum objectives and fulfill promotional requirements. An Independent Study Agreement is a means of individualizing the educational plan for students who are going to be out of school for three (3) or more consecutive days not to exceed fourteen (14) for reasons other than illness or injury.

  1. The Short Term Independent Study Agreement length is not to exceed fourteen (14) school days. 

  2. A Short Term Independent Study Agreement is required and must be signed by the parent, student, teacher and site administrator (Short Term) prior to commencing Independent Study. 

  3. The agreement specifies the amount of work to be completed, the amount of time to be spent each day, when the work will be turned in to the teacher and how the work will be evaluated.

  4.  Agreements must include a written reason for requesting Independent Study.

  5.  No individual with exceptional needs, as defined in Education Code 56026, may participate in Independent Study unless his/her individualized education program specifically provides for such participation. 

  6. A Short Term Independent Study Agreement must be requested at least five school days prior to a planned absence to ensure teachers can prepare materials. 

  7.  A Short Term Independent Study Agreement WILL NOT be issued for the first two weeks or last two weeks of school. 

  8. The Independent Study Agreement must be approved and completed BEFORE the student is out of school. 

  9. Refer to Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 6158 for further information.  

Please click/select the option below to fill out the Independent Study Agreement for your child(ren).  Each student needs their own Independent Study Agreement. 

After you submit the form, you will be contacted by your child(ren)’s school office.  Should you have questions regarding Independent Study, please contact your school office.